Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Crafting: "Shir Madness"

I've found it!!!
The sewing technique that is sooo much fun...
and fairly easy.
And it looks amazing, too.
Wanna know what it is?

Shirring.

Have you heard of Sandi Henderson?
The one that designs that beautiful fabric??
I found her blog a while back
and when I found her tutorial for shirring,
 I knew exactly what I wanted to try it on.
Ooh-La-Laaa!
I'm in awe.
(Wow! I am so excited, I'm beginning to rhyme.)

I used her tutorial to shir the top part
of Aliyah's 1st birthday outfit.

This post is, after all, about that outfit.
I must tell you, I do not use patterns.
I use clothing that is in her closet to estimate
pieces of clothing that I'm sewing.
So I have no specifics for you. Sorry.
If you need them, I could try.
I did make myself a paper pattern of sorts
this time around. That was a first for me.

My suggestions on shirring that are not mentioned
in her tutorial:
1. If you're not using a pattern, make your outfit
wider than you want it to be in the end.
(I made mine about 3" wider than I wanted it
after the shirring.)

2. Stitch on the top of the fabric when shirring.

3. Use regular thread for the needle,
only using the elastic thread for the bobbin.
(That took me for-EVER to figure out! duh.)
(See the elastic thread in the bobbin,
and the regular thread in the top thread?)

That's about it!
I hope you will join me in this "Shir Madness"!
I am in love. :)
I think you will be too, once you give it a try.

Adding my craftiness to the links on my sidebar. :)
Check them out! There is so much creativity shared
at each of those link parties. Enjoy!


15 comments:

Jamee said...

love it- still haven't done it- bought the elastic thread and just have not found the time- where did you get that fabulous fabric?

Brandy said...

I can't wait to try this! I sew a lot of my daughter's dresses, but haven't ever tried that technique. Thanks!!

Brandy @ Home Sweet Home (www.brandyscrafts.blogspot.com)

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

LOVE it!!! SO adorable!!

Alexandria said...

This is adorable! I so wish I had a little girl to put in a dress like this, but I have three little boys and I think my husband would kill me LOL. I'm saving this in my favorites, though, so if any of my friends end up pregnant with a little girl, I can make them one!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I want to shir and have featured many shirring projects, but have yet to take the plunge into elastic thread. I need to work up the courage because that dress is SO DARN CUTE! Love it! Thanks for linking up!!!

Lynette said...

I tried shirring a couple years ago and it didn't work. I REALLY want to get it to work...i'm going to try it again this week...wish me luck! I love that dress you made...absolutely adorable!

LuckyStarErin said...

The design of the dress is super cute and unique! I love the fabrics you chose. Thanks for sharing the tutorial for shirring. Your blog design is alos really cool. I love the scrolling buttons and your fonts are adorable!

julielollar said...

Shirring is so much fun! The best part is that it looks like you spent hours doing it! Once I learned how a year or so I ago I started shirring everything!
I'm following from Someday Crafts Blog Share!
- Julie
http://thewannabesupermom.blogspot.com/2010/03/refashioned-skirt.html

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Cute dress!! I haven't tried shirring yet...but maybe I'll have to!

Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!!

chris said...

The dress turned out darling. Way to go!

Emily said...

Great job Sarah....it came out so cute. And I love the fabric!! Aliyah will look so cute (as always)!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this... I tried shirring this week, but didn't have nearly as much success as you... Your little dress makes me want to try again! :)
we have a friday fun finds party... if you're interested, we'd love it if you'd link up this week!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - i'm going nuts!!!!!! I'm sooo going to try this!!! :)

Nancy said...

I am in LOVE with that dress. I want one just like it for my little girl!!

eetomost said...

oh my word! I love it. I truly would lover to know how to sew. I just sort of piddle in my sewing/craft room. Where in the world do you get elastic thread? I'll have to google that! Thanks for sharing:)

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails