I have been wanting to make silhouettes of my children
for the last year or so.
I finally got to it this week!
Just in time for Mother's Day.
There were 2 products that really helped me make these...
DiscChangers- - it makes it SUPER easy to hang these plates!!
And, my favorite craft glue- Gorilla Glue- - the stuff is like liquid plastic.
It hardens up so good. That's how I got the "3-D" effect.
_____________________________________________
If you'd like to do this too,
If you'd like to do this too,
I'll share the steps with you to making one. :)
There's still enough time to make this project
for Mother's Day for yourself- like mine- -
or for your mother or grandmother, too!
This would also make a great present for a birthday, too.
There's still enough time to make this project
for Mother's Day for yourself- like mine- -
or for your mother or grandmother, too!
This would also make a great present for a birthday, too.
__________________________________
1st- I transformed plates from the clearance rack at Walmart...
to this...
using Mod Podge to attach the paper
then, I added a cut up doily to my girly one.
You know me and making things girly! haha.
You know me and making things girly! haha.
And now they're ready for those beautiful silhouettes!
__________________________________
2nd, I took some profile pictures of my 3 kiddos.
Let me tell you...
it took about 25 pictures apiece
to get the right one.
My kids are all very young though.
I'm sure it wouldn't be quite so time consuming
if the subjects were over the age of 4.
But mine weren't! lol.
See, your pictures do not have to be perfect either!!
Just look at mine,
and this was after 75 clicks!
________________________________
3rd- I opened these pictures in Photoshop.
Here's the steps in photoshop/elements for 1 silhouette:
1. Duplicate Layer. Change Layer Mode to Screen... or if your subject is on a white background, then the opposite- - Vivid Light. This is to make your subject's outline easier to see, so do what works best for your photo.
2. Select the Magnetic Lasso Tool. Using the magnetic lasso, outline your subject, making sure to leave a little bit of the chest area, and leaving the neck area long. You may have to subtract and add to it as needed. Flatten this Layer.
3. Using paint brush or paint bucket tool, paint area black or desired silhouette color until completely filled in.
4. Invert Selection. Then Create a Layer via Cut.
5. Open New Blank File, 8x8 inches or make it larger if so desired.
6. Copy the Layer with just the silhouette onto the new blank file. Move the silhouette around so that it is the correct size for your project. Then save it!
7. Print, or like me, you may want to put it in a Word Document, change your printer properties to Fast Draft/greyscale, then print.
They will look like this when you have printed them out:
__________________________________
4th- Once the silhouette is printed, cut it out. Tape it to the back of the glitter paper (Michaels sells this paper). Then cut your paper out! At this point you can attach it to the paper & frame it...
__________________________________
5th- Or you can create a 3-D effect like mine by using 1 " painted blocks & gorilla glue!
so I adhered it to a piece of cardboard 1st
to keep it from curling in this horrid humidity,
then gorilla glued it to the painted block
and gorilla glued the block to the plate.(Those glass plates on top of the silhouette are to "clamp" or weight down the silhouette while drying with the Gorilla Glue.)
__________________________________
Here's another look at the finished project.
I'm actually thinking I might create a little
"Featured Artists" plaque to go above it...
since I'm hanging these currently above my Mama's Brag Board.
Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful Mamas out there!
I'm adding this project to the brand new DIY Club!!
Go check out all the other great entries there too.
Also linking to a few of my other fave blog parties found here!









































29 comments:
Those are really cute...I love they way they stand out and the plate yo mounted them on are great! Thanks for linking up to the DIY Club party!
Holly
504main.com
Hi! I hopped over from New Friend Friday! LuV your idea!!
Happy Friday:)
This is SO FRESH and fun!@ I love it!
<3
Risa
OH wow! Those are great! I have been wanting to make some silhouettes forever too. The 3D effect is my favorite part!
Ashley
http://cuteasafox.blogspot.com
These are adorable! I have been wanting to do silhouettes of my boys too, but I was afraid it would take forever to get the right picture:) I love how fun and funky yours are!
They are so adorable!! I love the plates you used and the doily on the girly one is darling!
Hey Its Cheri from Its So Very Cheri and the DIY Club inc.
Thank you for entering the DIY Club inc event.
I came by to check out your project and follow along and I hope you will do the same.
I am not seeing a picture of the DISChanger product that you used-is Google hiding the picture or did you miss that in the instructions? We are letting people know they need to fix their posts. We have to keep those sponsors happy that are offering give-a-ways.
We are working on adding more amazing products to add to the list so you gals will have even more products to work with.
Your project is so adorable. You are a very crafty and talented gal.
Cheri for the DIY Club inc
First of all I LOVE polka dots...Hmmm Walmart doesn't have those here ...
Second. This is very cute and i have never seen this before. Bright happy and super cute. GJ.
Thank you for saying hi :)
Gros bisous
frenchy
What a great idea! These are so cute! I love the polka dot paper.
this is such a fun idea!
How cute are these! Love the polka dots :)
Thanks for the great Photoshop tips to make this easier. I like the 3-D feel too. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!
Lovely idea, and they look great! Thanks for the tutorial.
I found you through Trendy Treehouse and am following you now!
Jill
so cute!
Wow! You are so talented, that's such a good idea!
We have a linky party on saturdays, you should join!
nv-craftenvy.blogspot.com
DARLING OH' SO DARLING! love the polka dot plates too. I really need a mama brag board too. SO CUTE! p.s. I am youre newest follower! JENN ;)
Hi Sarah! Love the polka dots! The plates are so creative and the silhouettes are fabulous! These turned out wonderful! Thanks so much for joining The DIY Club this month! We greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn
LOVE this; I made silhouettes of my kids as Christmas presents this past Christmas (I used GIMP, though, to make them). I think I'm going to use your idea for playroom decorations. Thanks for sharing!
Btw, I shared your tutorial link and blog link on MY blog . . .so others could see the cuteness!
http://followinginmyshoes.com/musings/i-wanna-do-that
FABULOUS!!
Love them! :)
WOW!!! These are beautiful!!!
Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life As Lori... Please join me next week for another great party!
Love those! You are always coming up with the best ideas!
You are one very clever lady... just a fantastic idea... loved it. I also loved your brag board hanging below the plates. Thanks for sharing
OOH, how cute! This is my first time at your blog, I came from Ramblings of a crazy woman link up.
We totally did these for mother's day in girl scouts one year!
But we had to sit still while my mom and the other leader traced our silhouette and then had it shrunk down. Hooray for digital cameras!!!
Those are so cute! Thanks so much for sharing this on Favorite Things Friday!
The colors! The 3 dimensions! I love it all!! Thanks for linking up!!!
Great idea!! I love this! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' Party at Fun to Craft. I am featuring this...so come by in a couple hours and snag a featured button.
I love the sillouettes! I'll never forget when Uncle Kenny came home from school with his perfectly drawn profile on black construction paper! I was so jealous since our class didn't get to have one made. Glad your children get to see theirs on the wall!
Thanks posting this cute project. Color me jealous of the clearance score of polka dotted plates at Wal Mart. Anywhoo I blogged about the project today...
http://naughtysecretaryclub.blogspot.com/2011/04/silhouette-art-book-review-and-round-up.html
Post a Comment