Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Brought to you by "The Letter O"

Last week we learned the short vowel "O".
I am finding that games, crafts, and math time are his favorites.
Handwriting is probably the least favorite.
I'm going to try to research more "fun" ways
to accomplish handwriting,
than just the old pencil, dotted manuscript paper routine.
Any ideas are very welcome!!!

I'm also finding that we're getting a "routine" down.
  • Everyday we go over the alphabet. He points to each letter as we sing it. Capital & lowercase- several times. We talk about the sound the letter of the week makes, and think of lots of different words that start with that sound. We have lots of fun laughing over our words. :) We also review each of the letters he's already learned.
  • Practice Handwriting. Bleck. Not the most fun thing right now. I've really gotta figure something out with this. HELP!
  • Do a "game", whether it's math or letter related (or sometimes other more abstract games).
  • Do a craft with the letter of the week.
  • Do a cut&paste or other activity with the letter.
  • Read a book, and look for that letter while reading it, or find words that start with that letter.
  • He does some "internet" time on different educational sites.
Here's what we did for the letter "O" this past week.
Using a large black capital O, and other "parts",
we created an Ostrich.
I cut them out, and then had him glue them on, and draw the eyes & beak.
This face cracks me UP!!

My attempt at finding a more creative way to practice handwriting. :)
We also have these marker pads with the letters,
and I always use the printables from
He created an Octopus in the ocean,
and I made it into a math game. :) {Sneaky mama! ha!}
Let me just tell ya... he LOVES math!
He doesn't know yet that it's called math, but he is really good at it. :)
Total concentration.

We also did a letter Capital/lower-case match-up with the vowels.

Oh and we did the cut/paste sheets too. :) No pics.
And, we did a simple math game with Cheerios, too. No pics.
But, you get the idea!
Another successful week of pre-school homeschool.
And we're still enjoying it!

And, actually, we're in the throws of learning the last vowel. :)
So I'm teaching him the vowel song I learned as a Kindergartener.
I'll have to record it soon, and post it for you!
Enjoy.


2 comments:

Lady D said...

Miss Eddy would be proud!!

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

She would! I wish I could remember more of what we did in her class. It was fun to go to kindergarten, that much I remember. :)

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails