Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Crafting: Newborn Monkey Hat- Crochet Pattern

I love, love, LOVE these sock monkey hats I saw recently,
and had a few friends having babies- - -
(my 1st attempt, with added earflaps)

So, I found a great FREE pattern for them HERE.
I decided to make my 2nd version with braided ties,
so the hat doesn't get taken off as easily.
Uhh... yeah. This little monkey doesn't have eyes yet- -
my little monkey got ahold of them, and I can't find them!!! :)

To make earflaps:
-- working in ROWS.
Row 1 -- DC in 10 DC. Chain 3, turn
Row 2 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DC across till last 2 stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. Chain 3, turn. (8 DC)
Row 3 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DC across till last 2 stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. Chain 3, turn. (6 DC)
Row 4 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DC across till last 2 stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. Chain 3, turn. (4 DC)
Row 5 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. (2 DC) Cut yarn and bind off.
- - Count across 15 stitches on the body of the hat. Add second earflap, following the same directions as above.

Edging & Ties:
- - Using contrasting color, attach to base of one earflap. SC across entire hat, cut yarn and bind off.
- - To make braids for hats: Take a bundle of yarn (I use 6 strands or 9 strands depending on the thickness of yarn) twice the length you want the ties to be, cut, then pull through the edge of the hat at the edge below the decreases. Divide in to 3 strands and braid tightly. Tie with a knot and trim ends neatly.
I will be making a few more for a few more friend's babies...
as well as for photography props,
of course! :)


I think I will add this to a few of my favorite linky parties.
Oh, and yes- - that is a diaper cake under the 2nd sock monkey hat.
Guess what I'll be putting up next week sometime. :)
Check out the link parties HERE.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Looks awesome Sarah!! I love the bows. Aren't bows so addicting to make. So many ribbon choices. I haven't been crafting much lately, I need to get my motivation back. LOL I go through these every now and then. Anyway, too too cute.

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails