Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Monday, November 23, 2009

Christmas trees shouldn't make you cry!!

Or so my husband says. :) Have you ever cried over a Christmas tree? I may be the only one. lol. But after putting up the tree this year, and sitting there looking at it, I realized... it's not my Christmas tree! We're borrowing our friend's tree this year since our tree's lights died 2 years ago, and last Christmas we just used our tiny little tree (see the story in the next paragraph). Her tree has the colorful lights- red, green, yellow, blue. My Christmas tree has white lights! I never realized this would matter to me. But it does. And I miss so much about other "versions" of my life, but right now. today. I miss my Christmas tree. Phew! Got that out. Now I can go on with life, and try not to notice that the tree lights are more colorful than usual, and detract from the beauty of the ornaments, garland, and ribbon that adorn the tree. ;p Why must I be so "asthetic" (as my hubby said) about everything. I'll put pics up of the tree soon, for all y'all that are visual like me.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Christmas trees... the very first Christmas we were married, we did not have the money to buy a tree, or the trimmings. No money at all. In fact, I got my hubby a pair of cleats from the Goodwill for his present. :) Somehow, someone found out that we didn't have a tree, and a week or so before Christmas, a mini-tree with all the trimmings, and a little nativity set, etc... showed up on our doorstep. What a blessing that was to us! I will never go through another Christmas without thinking about that. It meant SO much to me. It still does. I'm kinda glad that we graduated to a full-size tree a few years later, but that little tree made our first Christmas together feel more like Christmas. Why? I don't know. It just did.

Lots of stories about Christmas trees today. Probably because we put the tree up today. Which in and of itself is strange because we have never, ever put our tree up before Thanksgiving. I'm usually doing good to drag my hubby along in getting the tree out the weekend after Thanksgiving. Since we're going away for Thanksgiving this year, I somehow talked him into putting it up before Thanksgiving. Wow! That's huge. Okay... I'm chatty today. I think I'll call my Mom, since she doesn't mind me rattling on and on to her. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

Blessings! -Sarah

1 comment:

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

I have cried at a Christmas tree... but not like you. I used to get sad throwing away the tree at the end of the holidays. It seemed like such a waste! Now, we use a fake tree. It's still sad taking it down, but at least I know I'm not hurting mother nature.

By the way, I am usually not a tree-hugger... this just gets me...

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails