I am thrilled to be able to share a couple of photo tips, hoping that you can take these tips and grab better shots of your family and friends!
The number one tip is... Fill the Frame!
The name of the game is to "Fill the Frame".
The first question you want to ask yourself when taking a photograph is "What is the story I want to tell?"
Truly, the job of a photographer is to tell a story. A good story teller knows who their audience is and keeps this in mind. If I am photographing my nieces and nephews I have two audiences in mind first: their mom and dad in 30+ years. I want to take photographs that capture who they are, where they are and what they are doing. Whether it's dirty hands, learning to eat with a spoon, jumping, laughing or crying I want them to remember these small moments and look back and remember today.
The second audience that I have in mind when I’m telling stories with my camera is also made up of two people:Jeremiah and Hannah. This is my niece and nephew, pretty much my world! I am fully conscious that as babies and toddlers and even kiddos they won’t remember a very large part of our time together. The mind just doesn’t work that way. They may remember a dozen or so things from their preschool years and that will be it. But that’s not enough. I want them to know their story. I want them to understand who they are and where they come from and the love that is in their lives. I even want them to know that sometimes they’re feisty and naughty and silly…but that we love them anyway. I just want them to know.
So back to the story that I want to tell. Today I want to talk about... Fill the Frame. It’s one of the most basic photography principles (particularly when photographing people) and it simply means, move up. Get closer. Put the emphasis on your subjects — not the details around them. Yes, that may mean that you have to get off the couch and actually walk toward your subject. You may even have to become part of the action. But that’s okay, you are telling a story.
Filling the frame is the best way I know to capture a beautiful relationship between people. Don’t be afraid to tell your subjects to snuggle or press their cheeks together. The picture will be worth it.
I want these cousins to remember the fun they had playing and digging in the dirt together.
Moving closer and filling the frame also puts emphasis on all the little details of your subject that are worth remembering. Like, um…this…yes,he pretty much lives in his boots.
Even without showing their faces this next image relays a tight embrace, doesn’t it? If I had stayed on the porch, I would have never captured the emotion. Move around...move in...move closer.
What about their expressions?!?!?! From crying to laughing, seriousness to goofy-ness or sadness to smiles! Capture it...there are no photo-copies of your kiddos and loved ones.
So grab your camera, have fun and practice this week. Get all up in your kiddos’ smiles and become part of the story. Capture the details. Celebrate the relationships.
Do it for the you in 30 years.
Thank you so much, Erin! That was awesome. Y'all make sure to leave her a comment or visit her blog if you enjoyed it as much as me. I definitely agree that the best photos are filled with those precious little ones faces & details. They're always my favorite as a mom. :) And it's a good reminder to get up and get closer to get the better photo!
Tomorrow, we'll have a super cute kid craft from a guest blogger that makes me want to attend her daycare just so me & my kids can create the crafts she does with her kiddos! :) Make sure to come back and enjoy tomorrow's post!




































No comments:
Post a Comment