Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Recipe: Cherry Pie with Almond Crumb Topping

I normally like to share my "own" recipes here.
But over the Thanksgiving holiday,
I tried a new recipe I found on TastyKitchen...

To say it was the best cherry pie I've ever had
would be an understatement!
However, it is a rather humble looking pie.
Looks can be deceiving. :)

My mom insisted that I share the recipe with her,
and I know a few other cherry pie lovers out there.
So I figured I'd type it out,
with my own adaptations.
(Used brown sugar in the topping,
and used a graham cracker crust,
as well as canned tart cherries instead of fresh.)

Here it is!
Ingredients:
•1 Graham Cracker Crust
•4 cups Cherries, Or 3 cans red tart cherries, drained
•4 Tablespoons Corn Starch (I used flour whisked into a little juice)
•½ cups Sugar (can Adjust Based On Cherry Sweetness)
•1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
•⅛ teaspoons Salt
•1 teaspoon Almond Extract
•1 Tablespoon Flour, For Sprinkling Onto Crust
Topping:
•½ cups Flour
•½ cups Brown sugar
•⅓ cups Oats
•1 cup Almonds, Sliced
•6 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
•½ teaspoons Almond Extract
•Couple shakes of both pumpkin pie spice & cinnamon
•1 pinch Salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Make the pie filling: Combine cherries, cornstarch (or flour paste), sugar, lemon juice, salt, and almond extract gently in a bowl.
3. Place bottom crust in pie plate, and spread 1 Tablespoon of flour on the bottom crust. This will help prevent the bottom crust from getting soggy.
4. Spoon filling into the bottom crust.
5. Make the topping: Combine the flour, sugar, oats, almonds, butter, extract, cinnamon and salt, and mix until moistened. If it seems a little dry for you, add an extra Tablespoon of butter.
6. Sprinkle the crumbs onto the pie as uniformly as you can, giving the best coverage that you can. Gently pat the crumbs into place.
7. Bake at 375 for 1 hour. Put an aluminum shield on the crust about halfway through.
8. Let cool completely on rack.

Enjoy!!

Linking up to:
Tatertots&Jello Weekend WrapUp Party!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh this sounds so good! (and I think I could do it) Thanks for posting...glad I stumbled over here:)

Lady D said...

I have had Cherry pie before but this one is the best ever. Sarah is a great cook!!

Tru said...

The almond sounds good in the topping. Thanks for sharing.

Stacey said...

Looks yummy!! Love cherry desserts!

I also love the font in the titles of your posts! I'm about to start working on my blog theme (I just switched from wordpress to blogger!), and haven't figured out how to do stuff like that yet!

http://daisysfavoritethings.blogspot.com

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails