Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Recipe: Homemade Yogurt- - {a science experiment, too!!}

For some reason when people would tell me,
"Oh, I make my own yogurt."
I had this idea that it was really hard to do,
and well, rather strange.

Well, was I ever wrong!
This was so much fun to make.
My kids enjoyed watching me,
and seeing the results- -
so it kind of doubled as a science experiment--
since we watched the Alton Brown YouTube videos
before making it.
Those were humorous, but informative on the science level.

and I pretty much did a similar version.

Here's what I did:
Pour 8 cups of milk in a crockpot.
Turn it on low for 2 1/2 hours- - set your timer-- it's easier that way. 
Then turn it off, unplug it, and let it sit for 3 hours- - set that timer!
Then add 1/2-1 cup of Greek yogurt, and 1/2-1 cup of honey or sugar.
Stir it all in, and replace the lid to the crockpot.
Then, warm up a heating pad, and cover it with a towel or blanket.
Make sure it's covered really tight.
Set your timer for 8-10 hours, and let it sit.
That was the hardest part for me.
I wanted the results-  NOW- for Pete's sake! 
And here's how it turned out!!
Thick. Delicious. And perfect.

Don't stir in the "whey" liquid, you can either drain it, or just leave it.
Also, only put your fruit in when you're ready to eat it,
not before storing it, as the fruit can make it runny.

ENJOY!

5 comments:

Emily said...

This is almost exactly how I do our yogurt. Don't you love it!!! I love the fact that is doesn't have all that weird stuff that you find in regular yogurt. And it maked alot. Try using some canned pie filling to flavor it. We love the key lime and lemon flavored ones. Yum...Yum...

Lady D said...

I'm gonna have to try this sooooon!! Looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing...I'm a homemade junkie & this is super simple! I'm your newest follower from http;//www.beckhamandbloom.com Stop by if you get the chance. Have a great holiday & many blessings,
Melly

Adena (aka cre82learn) said...

Thanks for posting this! I have made my own yogurt before but on the stovetop and then transfer to a cooler. It was a pain because I had to keep taking the temperature with a candy thermometer non-stop and not worth the trouble. This looks much easier.

Anonymous said...

I really do love it! -Sarah

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails