Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Monday, October 5, 2009

Midwestern, Southwestern, Southern?? What am I?!

Born in the Midwest, Adult life moving back & forth from the South to the Southwest back to the South. What does that make me exactly?? A Mid-Southwest-Southerner?! LOL I must say that I claim the Midwest for my heritage, but I claim the South/SWest for my desired location at any given time. The sun shines more down here! I never did do very well in all that cold weather.

I got a little glimpse today though of what my children might end up being, growing up in the South and all. Wes was singing the ABC song in the backseat of the car on the way home from shopping today. All of the sudden a very clear drawl started coming out! It was very noticeable to both myself and my hubby.

"ABCDEFG... now "ah" said "mah" ABC's, next "tahme" won't you sing with me."

Oh, mercy! My children are going to be Southerners!! With a Southern drawl no less!!! Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would happen. For some reason, I just always figured our children would speak Standard American dialect- no accents included- since we don't speak with an accent.

I'm pretty sure Ali will be the one with the heaviest drawl though- since about 4 months of age, she's been saying hi to us. Pretty much just repeating back a little syllable she hears us say all the time to her. However, she says it more like, "Haaah!". Oh, my! A little southern belle in the making it would appear. :) Or maybe a little yellow rose of TX. ?

I guess it's alright by me. I'm learning to change my perspective on all those things called expectations and notions anyways. Why not realize that if I'm going to live in the sunny South, then my children will probably have a Southern drawl. :) I kinda like it. Should be fun hearing them speak as they grow up.

Blessings! -Sarah

2 comments:

Lady D said...

Spent 6 weeks every summer in Arkansas when I was growing up and came home saying ya all and had a little drawl so I'd say that they will indeed sound southern!

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Hmm... I did not know that you used to say y'all occasionally! :) Yay for y'all... I don't think I'm going back to the whole you guys thing- EVER! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails