So, here's my latest creation- a pillowcase dress for Aliyah. The beauty of a pillowcase dress is- she can wear it as a dress to start, or over leggings/ pants as she probably will be doing since it's getting cold... then when it gets shorter for her- she can wear it as a swingy top! Don't you love that?!
I've been wanting to make a pillowcase dress for her for months!! I've had the "Dumb Dots" Michael Miller fabric since before she was born... need I say more? So, I gave it a go. I wanted her to have a "special" outfit for her very 1st Thanksgiving. and this fits the bill. I did not use a pattern, and I will do a few things differently next time I do one, but overall I think it turned out good. ?? It only took approximately 3 hours from start to finish. I may add some pink ric-rac if I get time to drop by a fabric store or Hobby Lobby in the next few weeks, too. And I will definitely post a pic of Aliyah wearing it on Thanksgiving. :) I do have pics during the process- so if anybody wants- I can add a quick "tutorial". Let me know.
Edited to add directions here:
You will need:
- 1 yard of main fabric (possibly could get away with 3/4 yd)
- 1/2 yard of contrast fabric
- 1/4 inch elastic
- Embellishments: Ribbon, ric-rac, flowers, etc...
- A spool of thread, and a bobbin of the same thread
Directions:
1) I started by measuring a full A-line dress of hers that was similar in style to a pillowcase dress. This was good to get a length off of. However, next time, I'm going to measure it off a pillowcase too- duh! and maybe scale it down just a little. I also looked at Etsy for pillowcase dresses, and figured out that the measurement for her size was about 18" in length. I added about an inch on either side, and at least that to the length for the seams and hem. (no pattern, remember, just pretty much cut it by eyeing it)
2) Then, I pinned it to make sure the two layers didn't shift during cutting. (I only cut it about 15" since I used a contrast fabric at the bottom of the skirt). I recommend not making it quite as A-line as I did in the pics. Also add an extra 1/4-1/2" to the arm holes. So they'll be a little wider than the skirt of the dress. Something I did not do, but wish I had because the edges are a little more raw than I'd like.
3) Cut one side, then flip over and cut other side to match.
(again... make it less A-line, and more boxy- I think it'll hang better.)
4) Using the contrasting fabric, cut an extension of your dress on one side, then flip so it'll match. (again- two layers) There are probably better ways to go about doing this... but I don't use patterns, sorry. I think I made the length about 4 inches?
5) Then sew the two contrasting fabrics together, making sure to finish the raw edges by either rolling under and sewing, or using the zig-zag stitch so the edges don't fray. (The second pic you can see the zigzags). Go ahead and sew the armholes next. Then the sides. Zigzag or turn under all edges.
6) Make a 1/2" pocket for your elastic at the top of the dress on both front & back. Once it is made, you'll insert a 1/4" piece of elastic into it, sew it on one side to keep it stable and gather from the other side. Then sew the other side down.
7) Add a hem! Roll edges or zig-zag, remember.
8) Add embellishments... ribbon, straps (which you can make from contrasting fabric by sewing a "tube" and turning it right side out.), ric-rac, little flowers, whatever your heart desires!
And, here's the finished project!!!
She's going to look so adorable in this! I love how it turned out. Can't wait to make another one. I just love putting fabrics together, and mixing and matching things like this. :) Don't you?!
Blessings! -Sarah































5 comments:
OOOOHHHH!!!! I love it. So cute! I love the colors and the fabrics. Awesome choice. So what have you been mod podging? I love love love that stuff. LOL Did you know that you can mod podge fabric. Haven't tried it yet, but it is on my list of things to try.
The Mod Podge craft is a *surprise* for someone that reads my blog... so I can't give it away just yet. :) heeheehee!
I love mod podging! I read a few blogs that do lots of crafts with it. Fun stuff! What are you going to make? I wish you had a blog or something so I could keep up with you better. :)
Thanks about the fabrics... I was so stinking excited when it all came together.
Love ya!
-Sarah
LOL That is funny that you should say that about a blog, cause I am in the middle of putting one together. I am trying to think of a name for it though. I will email you when I am finished with it. It is going to be much like yours: recipes, crafty stuff, homeschool stuff and just everyday mommy stuff. I have been wanting to do one for awhile now and am finally getting to it.
Emily
Yay! That makes me so happy, Em. :)
Love the fabric choise!!! Great tuto for such a cute dress!!!
love Miranda
Post a Comment