I'm late for making my new years I've actually been pondering some things for a while. A few of my goals have actually been formulating for more than a month now, and a few more have just come to me in the first few days of this new year.
Since I've been inspired by many other blogger friends and their "word for the year"... or whatever that is called... I finally think I've figured out what my "word" is this year.
FOCUS.
It's not a glamorous word.
They probably don't make a cutesy little sign for it
at Hobby Lobby.
at Hobby Lobby.
I'm just trying to be as honest as I can with myself, and with you too.
I need to
I need to
-I am hoping to read through the Bible this year. Someone said recently it only takes 15 minutes a day. That's about all I have most days to spare, if that. But I know that my spiritual walk needs to be that important to me.
-I also want to start downloading my favorite, but rarely listened to right now, ladies Bible teacher so I can walk while listening to her program. (Nancy Leigh DeMoss, for those of you who are curious.)
FOCUS. on my children and husband.
-I hope to learn to be a better wife this year. I have a few plans of action to help with that, I hope. ?? But, I won't share here, since that's probably TMI.
-My hubby and I are usually given a "freebie" babysitting/date night by one of the ladies in the church every month. I think we need more than one night a month. Sooo, I'm hoping to convince our "budget" that we can squeeze another date in there, with a paid babysitter (?), so that we can enjoy our marriage a little more.
-I plan to continue doing crafts with the kids once a week. They absolutely LOVE that. I love that they love it. So, here's to trying to come up with creative kid's crafts this year.
-I am currently reading up on the subject of Homeschooling, since we plan to start this fall with Wesley. I hope to attend the large Homeschool Conference in May, as well. And, the biggest plunge I feel to be made with it all, is choosing the curriculum. Feeling a little apprehensive about it.
-I would also really like to spend "one-on-one" time with each of the kids. I'd love it if that were every day... but realistically, I think my goal right now should be 2 or 3 times a week.
FOCUS.on living healthy.
-This is an obvious challenge right now. I need to get myself back in "diet" or "healthy-eating" mode.
-Get on that treadmill, every night, for one hour. No ifs, ands, or buts. Just do it!
-With the exception of our entertaining nights (Example: Sunday pm Catan game night), I would like to be in bed earlier... like 10:30 pm. That sounds reasonable. I'm not sure if it really is, though. We shall see.
FOCUS.on living within our means.
-I need to come up with some better ways of cutting costs on grocery shopping, and household items. Mostly I just load up my cart every 1 1/2 weeks at Walmart. I do not coupon, I do not price compare, and I do not go to a cheaper alternative store. We spend almost as much in that category as we do on our house payment. Obviously, that area needs to be improved!! HELP!
-Instead of buying from the stores for decoration and clothing, try to make some of it myself, or at least buy cheap, but sturdy second-hand/clearance items.
-My husband's one goal that he told me about this year was to pay off the credit card. Since this is his goal, I hope to be able to help with that by trying to cut back on spending, and maybe providing a small amount of income, as well.
FOCUS.on creative outlets.
-I play the piano. Therefore, an outlet that I hope to expand this year is my piano lesson business. I already have 3 students lined up! Yay! This will help out with the above category too.
-I also hope to purchase more music for my "church pianist" position. And in so doing, organize all my "church" music into 3 ring binders. I have so much music, and I just don't always remember what I played, when. Or sang, when. So, I need a system.
-Obviously the crafting thing is getting some of my artistic needs out. However, I would just love to take a class: whether photography related, or maybe a pottery class... a painting class. I really don't care so much about the medium, as much as having the experience of getting my hands into something, and having that time just for "me" to grow creatively.
__________________________________________
By naming what I need to focus on, I've also come up with an alternate list of things I do not need to waste my life focus on, like:
-I'm hoping to implement a once in the morning, once after the kids go to bed "rule".
-Reading through my ever-growing Google reader blog list. Again, same rule applies.
-Worrying about the quantity of activities our family does, and instead making sure that the quality of what we do is AMAZING. (Example: instead of randomly thinking of last minute games or movies to watch during our family night, plan out a "Family Fun Night" every other week).
Just some reflections for the New Year. Happy New Year to all my friends and family out there!































2 comments:
Great list, Sarah!! I see myself mirrored in your list somewhat too! I especially agree about the FB thing. :-) I spend WAY too much time online and subsequently let other things slip. One thing I have done is go through my Google reader and delete a lot of the RSS feeds that I don't really need to read every day, and even ones that I typically don't read. WHY do I have those on there to begin with??? :-)
I think your list is awesome, and I know that you can do it. WE can both become better people, wives, mommies, and friends in 2010 because we're willing to be more focused. Thanks for sharing! Now I should probably get off the computer. ;-) Ha ha!
Thanks for the encouragement, Rach. :) I know... I feel like that "10 minute" check FB, or Google reader always turns into an hour... and then I'm saying "oops!". Ugh. I don't want to be a "FB Addict". lol. So, I'm hoping that I can get better about it.
TTYL!
-Sarah
Post a Comment