Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe Share: Cranberry Orange Bread

After posting this pic on Facebook Tuesday night...



I was asked by several people to share the recipe.

And I am happy to pass it along, since it was enjoyed by
my MOPS group,
and by my hungry, happy boys.

My notes for this recipe...
-I made a double batch, baked it in a bundt pan,
-and baked it for 70 minutes, until a knife came out clean.
-I used 5 oranges for the grated orange, and the orange curls.
  (I just wanted a lot of orange flavor, but it's not necessary.)
-Don't use the large side of the grater, but the smaller.
  Even though it's harder to get the peel off, the "pith" of the orange
  grates too with the larger side, and it tastes bitter.
-I also think it would taste great with some orange glaze over it.

I found this recipe at It's the Little Things that Matter. Thanks for the recipe!

Cranberry-Orange Bread

Ingredients:
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
-1 tablespoon grated orange peel
-3/4 cup orange juice
-1 egg
-1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
-1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of loaf pan.

2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in orange peel, orange juice and egg just until moistened; stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread in pan.

3. Bake 8" loaf for 1 hour and 15 minutes, 9" loaf for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Loosen sides of bread from pan and remove to a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.

And for Melody & Lindsay... and anyone else wondering how I made the orange curls.

I peeled an orange from the top into a circular pattern around the orange.
Then, "curled" them under the cake, since they didn't curl enough naturally.
I think if I'd have left them curled around chopsticks or pencils for a day,
they would've curled on their own.
*Warning*- that step took a lot of time, so don't do it unless you're willing to spend some time with a knife and an orange. Lol!

Enjoy!



No comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails