Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reflection Questions for 2009

I've been thinking on what some of my & our family's goals will be for 2010. I haven't quite thought through everything just yet, so in preparation for that, I decided to take the {in}courage reflection quiz. Just click on the link if you'd like to do it too.

I get a little melancholy when I get introspective. That's the "creative" side of me coming out. Sorry for that in advance. You certainly do not have to read my list of reflective craziness. Just skip onto the next more fun posts if you're not into the blabberings of an introspective mommy. :)

Reflection Questions for 2009



1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Aliyah Grace Harrigan was born. She was such a beautiful, joyful child right from the start.

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Having 3 children, instead of 2. Wow! That rocked my world. So. much.

Piggybacking onto that though was the move from New Mexico to Texas at the end of the year in 2008. Pretty much, that combined with having the 3rd babe made my life a muck for quite a while in 2009.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Starting a blog, which opened up a lot of creative outlet & writing out whatever is on my mind- and it's pretty much just for me. Since learning & creativity are such a big part of who I am, blogging, and reading my fave blogs has really turned out to be joyful.

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Having to leave my baby at home with her Papa so me & the boys could attend MOPS. Never had to do that before. But I'm glad we figured out a solution so that I could attend. It's pretty much a necessity for me to attend MOPS. It gets me out of the house; helps me interact with other moms; I'm always uplifted & encouraged; and having a safe & fun place for my kiddos to go while that happens is the icing on the cake.


5. Pick three words to describe 2009.
This is hard!
-Challenging
-Stretching
-Too-much-travelling (that was one word, right?! lol.)

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009
-Difficult
-Busy
-Crazy
?? I think I've heard him actually say that about this past year for me to others.

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, without asking).
-Rewarding
-Busy
-Encouraging

8. What were the best books you read this year?
Reading?? Who has time for that?! haahaa... actually, I have several books I started, and couldn't find time to finish. I really wanted to finish reading through "Shepherding a Child's Heart" & doing the workbook with the hubby. However, that remains for us to finish in 2010. I also started at the beginning of '09, and never finished "Finding God's Path Through  Your Trials"... it was so good & so encouraging, but I dropped it once the baby came. And I started reading it a few times after that, but never got through it. Still sitting on my nightstand.


9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
-God
-My family, of course!
-New friends: MOPS moms, & a few acquaintances from church
-Old friends: my dear friends from LC... forever in my heart, and forever loving me & keeping me in their hearts too; my FB friends- some old, some newer; my even older friends from college whom I went to visit this summer- the Owens.

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
My physical weight gain during the pregnancy, and not losing any of it afterwards. My self-image sorta took a plunge, but more than that, my energy level has not been very high. Obviously, this is something that has to change. It's hard work, too. Been there, done that. And I really wish I didn't have to do it again, but I can't continue feeling this sluggish with the 3 kids, and our busy lifestyle. Besides, I do actually like to be able to fit into my comfy jeans. Haven't been able to do that for about 1 1/2 years. So that's my goal. Fit into my jeans sometime this year.

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
This has been such a hard year for me. Like, the worst year I can remember except for maybe the year I turned 13. I can't stand my own negativity over it. So, I really would rather just pass on this question. It's too hard to answer publicly.


12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I've learned that God is my only source of truth- all the time. Oftentimes, He is the only one I can trust with my insecurities, fears, and anxieties.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
Seriously?? Grow? lol. Well, yes, I guess I did "grow" physically, although I would've rather have shrunk physically! Ha!

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
Mothering has pushed me to limits that I've never been pushed to before (like to crazy town, and back... and pretty much back again! :). I've also noticed that I have really relaxed more on this 3rd baby... it didn't matter so much to me that she got a taste of ice cream at 6 months, etc... I also didn't plan out every single activity for the kids during the day so that they stayed engaged (although I'm not sure that's a positive). Instead, they had more free time to play, doing whatever... mostly because I just couldn't do it all. I had to learn to let go of things that were important to me- like a clean house, diaper changes every 2(ish) hours, having time for me, and so much more.

15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
I have more than one here. :)
 -Decorating. Whether it was finding the perfect bedding for the "pink room", or making cheap crafty things to fill in the empty wall space, it was fun!
-Cooking & Baking. I seriously love to get in the kitchen & create.
-Keeping my memories alive via photography & blogging remain at the top, too. This is one of the most important things to me. I've noticed that my grandparent's memories & legacy will probably be soon forgotten because there just isn't as much written down, or very many pictures of their lives. So, that is one of my goals- to make it easy for those that come behind me in my family to know who we were. (Hopefully somebody will care! lol.)

16. What was your most challenging area of home management?
Keeping up with all the laundry & dishes. So much. All the time. I seriously need a housekeeper so that I can just keep up with the kids! (especially when I was nursing every 2 1/2 hours the first 5 months- ugh.)

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Facebook. Addict. Need I say more? So, that's definitely something I need to take a look at closer. Although, for the longest time, that's how I kept in touch with my family that didn't live nearby, via pictures & videos. It still is a huge part of that, but blogging has sort of taken a bit of the FB pressure off.

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Doing crafts & learning activities with the boys. I think that I've learned that letting go of that earlier in the year to cope with adjusting to having a 3rd baby in the family wasn't the best thing for them. It really couldn't be helped, but I'm glad that we started it up again this fall.

19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
To be real. To be realistic. I think I've always been real, but I definitely have had "earlier versions" of me that looked through rose colored glasses, and wasn't as realistic, and that in turn changed how I acted & responded. While I liked living behind that glowy veil of not being totally realistic, and I would gladly feel that way again, I don't think I ever will again.

I just have fully realized now that we're all human, and have a sin nature, and the Holy Spirit can work through us to allow "better responses", but it doesn't always happen. Even when we want it to. I am first to be put on that list, just so everybody knows. I need work on my own heart and in my spirit. And I need to submit to the Holy Spirit, instead of let my sinfulness take over sometimes.

Wow! That was actually a hard survey. I thought it might be easier. But obviously, I've got issues. lol. Okay. Peace out!



3 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for being so transparent! I'm sorry you've had a tough year. I'll be praying that 2010 is the BEST year following the worst. You really are doing well, and are encouraging to others in your words and kindness. Keep up the good work, and don't "worry" about the issues. :-)

Lady D said...

Sarah I love who you were, are, and look foward to who you will grow ( not physically lol) to be;) You are one of my heros...its true. Love ya forever, Mom

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Thanks to two really encouraging people in my life. :)

Happy New Year to you both!

Love, Sarah

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails