Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Musings: How to get over the "nagging wife syndrome".

God's been chiseling at my heart again.
For some reason,
I feel the need to share here on my blog
the things that I'm working on in my spiritual life.
I guess because I hope that it will
be an encouragement to someone else out there
going through the same things.

I'm raising my hand really high here.
In fact,
I'll just go ahead and claim the highest
hand-raised in the collective 'room' right now.

Who out there feels that they "nag"
their dear ones- sometimes continually?
Maybe you call it by a different name...
Like:
"remind",
"tease",
"scold",
"annoy"
"fret or worry"?

Am I the only one?
I don't really think so,
but I know it's hard to own up to.

I hate to admit it...
but I do nag my dear husband,
and sometimes my kids.
Goodness- if you throw in the
"mother-hen" syndrome of my
1st born child tendencies-
I probably "nag" everyone that I'm related to!
(I'm kind of laughing about that one.)

I don't want to nag.
Why do I nag, still, then?
What the apostle Paul said comes to mind,
(Read Romans 7 in the Bible)
"For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,)
 dwelleth no good thing:
 for to will is present with me;
 but how to perform that which is good
 I find not.

For the good that I would
 I do not:
 but the evil which I would not,
 that I do."

I've thought about this nagging thing for a long time.
Sometimes I get so disgusted with myself,
and my dear hubby and I actually have talks about it.
(Not the kind of talks where I feel shame,
but the kind where I'm apologizing,
and trying to figure out a way to work on it.)

Recently, a lady in my church said something to me
about this very thing.
And for some reason,
this time,
it stuck in my head.
(You see, this is not the 1st time somebody said
this to me.)
I'm a little slow to catch on sometimes. :)

She was describing how she would get
"annoyed" with her husband over little things,
like the whiskers in the sink,
and I'm sure you could fill in the blank
with your own little idio-syncrises right there.
(I know I could!)

And then, she said,
I just realized that I was making not only
my husband miserable, but also myself.
And she said that she was reminded by someone
in her church that was a widow,
what she wouldn't give to pick up
those socks off the floor for her husband
just one more time.

(**Tears**! Sniffle, sniffle!)

Okay.
That jerked my heart.
And then,
she gave me a piece of wisdom
that I just knew I needed to implement,
and share, too.

She said...
I changed my thought pattern from that
day forward...
Everytime a complaint would come
across my lips,
I would then try to remind myself
to Thank God for the husband that
He gave me!

She also said it was not an
instantaneous thought change
It was something she had to work on.

Can I just tell you?
She is one of the most joyful people I know!

So, I've been working on that for the last
few weeks.
(Believe it or not, Honey. :)

It's definitely a process,
and I'm definitely stuck in my old rut
of wanting to complain,
and tell him just what he should have done,
and how to do it "better" (insert- {my way}).

It's gonna take a major mental overhaul
to get me out of this rut.
But I really,
REALLY,
REALLY
want this.

I want to have that joy in my marriage,
that I know that can come from not nagging.

Anybody else with me?!

I need some accountability.
I really want this to work.

Dear God,
Please help me be able to change my
nagging, and complaining thoughts,
before they process into words,
into joyful thanksgiving for
the person who you gave me
to love.
And show that love to him
(them)
by not allowing the nagging to cross my lips.
Thank you, Lord,
for your Word,
for your sweet, joyful servant
sharing her testimony with me,
for my sweet husband,
and my darling children.
Love,
Sarah

3 comments:

stephanie said...

You are not alone. My husband is very patient and the Lord has been laying it on my heart to show him more patience. It's not easy but I know that if I shut my mouth more then I'll feel better at the end of the day and so will he. And through doing that it's motivated him and has given me peace. Strange how that works out! Guys don't need to be nagged??? I thought that that was our job! ;)

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Hahaha... Steph, you crack me up. :) I guess that's probably been my thinking all along on the nagging thing. Don't know- just know that God's been working on me in this area. I agree, my hubby is way more patient with me, than I am with him. Maybe it's a girl thing, you think?

Love,
Sarah

Lady D said...

Happy Valentine's Day to your hubby;) This is probably the best ever gift for him...but I know you are also giving him something that will compliment this too! Mike you are a lucky man;)

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails