I really enjoyed teaching this one. There are so many great ideas for this letter. One thing he seems to be struggling with is hearing a lot of difference between the short vowel sounds a, e, & i.
I have a friend who teaches Kindergarten, and she suggested that I get a phonics phone. Have you seen these before? I'm excited to either buy or make one!! I think it will improve this little problem. However, I am wondering if anyone out there might have any other suggestions? Please feel free to leave me a suggestion in the comment box here on the blog!
Here's what we worked on these past weeks with the letter "I".
"Inchworm"- made from cut up toilet paper rolls! ha!
Handwriting practice...
(Handwriting isn't necessarily his favorite learning activity! lol.)
"Iguana"- using craft foam & some wiggly eyes for fun!
He really loved this craft!!
Reading "I Spy" books.
Capital/lowercase recognition game- - with ice cream! :)
I love love love shots of my children's hands.
"Igloo"- made with construction paper.
We also did letter "I" cut/paste sheets.
We use homeschoolcreation's sheets.
We're getting close to the end of the short vowels.
I'm so excited to move onto beginning consonants,
as this means he'll probably be able to start reading
short words soon! Woohoo!
I know that he is going to excel at it.













































3 comments:
Getting the short vowel sounds takes a while, especially when kids don't hear words the way they are spelled. Like the word 'get', it is hard for kids to know that it is 'get' and not 'git'. Do your best, but I would not worry overmuch about it. He'll catch on. I, o, and u are the easiest to learn. A and E are often confusing because they can sound simliar. Once he knows some consonants and is able to start putting them together -maybe word families (-at, -an, -and, ap, etc), he will catch on to the sounds much better.
Cute! I strongly suggest working with blends. It's been amazing for Caleb, it really helps them pick up on words quickly! I'm sure when you start k4 with him, you'll see that though. Caleb is reading 3&4 letter words with all the short vowel sounds, it so fun & exciting!
He's getting the "a" sound down good!! And I think after talking with him about "i" again & having him wrinkle his nose up (like a Facebook friend suggested), we're doing a little better even than before. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. And Erin, I'm so excited & proud of Caleb, too. :) That's such a huge & fun milestone. Yay for him!!
Love,
Sarah
Post a Comment