Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Friday, April 2, 2010

Our Daughter's Baby Dedication

We dedicated our daughter in January. I know it's been a while, and I'm just now posting about it. :) It was such a sweet experience for us as parents. We had the privilege of having our pastor from Florida dedicate her. He & his little boy sang a tender song at the dedication. There were prayers from both men- Pastor D. & my hubby (the Pastor of the church we attend).
I will never forget standing there, praying with Pastor D. & my hubby- all the while our little darling reaching over and trying to get the microphone from the men!! :) Such a techno baby already. I will also remember how beautiful she looked in her sweet, tiny white eyelet dress & white patent leather shoes; and her & my matching name bracelets. (I know. It's so not about that!! It's just a girl thing. Sorry. It's my memory I'm recording here after all. Ha!)

Going into a Baby Dedication, we know that we are saying to our God & our church family, that we promise to raise her up to be a godly young woman. That we will bring her up "in the nurture & admonition of the Lord". ( Ephesians 6:4)

Honestly, that is a sobering thought for a parent. How do we do that? Especially in the culture & society that we live in:
-Where every woman (little girl's role models) on TV, magazines, store ads, etc... are airbrushed into unrealistic "perfection" and flaunt their bodies in ways that are frankly embarrassing.
-Where being underweight is looked on as a good thing.
-Where being beautiful externally is more important than having beauty & joy in her heart & soul.
-Where boys & peers opinions of her will sometimes matter more than her own & God's opinion.
All these struggles. The list could go on and on and on!!

And yet, there's the here & now-- dealing with learning to deal with & control emotions & self, to obey, to develop her speech & physical skills... I guess we shouldn't get the cart before the horse. But those things above weigh heavily on my mind whenever I sit and think about raising my children.

I believe that as parents that desire to bring our children up in this way,
-we must pray for our children;
-we must maintain a strong & healthy marriage, so they can see what it is that they should look for in a mate when that day comes;
-we must instill character (meaning working on it, not just hoping it will be there);
-we must teach them the Bible & what God says, and how all that applies to their lives- make it real to them.

That's all the advice I know to write here. I am no expert. I only go to church, listen to Christian radio some, attend MOPS, ask my mother questions- - and pray that God will show me from the sources he puts in my path, how to go about this daunting task of dedicating our children to Him.

I fear I am rambling. But these are things that matter most to me. I believe that outside of being a wife (1st priority), raising my children is my JOB!! And I pray that I am a dedicated mother to these little blessings that God has given us.

3 comments:

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

Amen to all of this! I recently passed along leadership of my local MOPS group. Those women are amazing and such a source of encouragement! We dedicated both of our daughters in the very same way you shared about here.
Have a blessed Easter weekend!
Sarah
handbagsnpigtails.blogspot.com

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Very precious memory Sarah. Well put. -Mike

Lady D said...

My heart is thankful that in spite of my daughter's parent's humanity and because of the grace of God, I am reading about my first granddaughter dedication to God. Thank you Lord for this sweet, sweet baby girl and her parent's desire to lead her gently to your saving grace.

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails