Welcome to my blog! I hope my crafts, recipes, homeschooling, & photography posts will be inspiring & encouraging to you.

I also like to include some family funnies, travels, and memories. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Recipe: Peach Blueberry Pie

As you'll see in my upcoming post this weekend,
we went blueberry picking Monday.
I am loving having all these patches & orchards around.
It's wonderful to pick your own produce,
and bake, cook, create with it!
And look how gorgeous these berries are!

So, I decided I wanted to try a Peach Blueberry Pie.
They served it at the little store where we picked
blueberries, and it looked like a really delicious combo.

After having had 1 & 1/2 slivers of pie tonight...
I can assure you-
It Is!
I made it a little extra special by putting cut-out hearts on, too. :)

You can find the recipe
over at Better Homes and Gardens, HERE.

I did make a few alterations to my creation.
I wanted blueberry peach pie...
and so I used 2 cups blueberries, and 4 c. peaches.
(Instead of 1c.BB & 5 c. P, as suggested).

I added another 1/2 c. white sugar
and instead of 1/3 c. brown sugar used 1/2 c.
 to the peaches & blueberries,
because I knew my peaches weren't that sweet.
I really wished I had used some fresh peaches instead.

Also, I realized after I got going that
I don't use cornstarch, and thus,
I do not own cornstarch.
"Necessity is the mother of invention".
I had a box of Minute Tapioca...
so I added 1/4 cup + to the peach/blueberries,
and let it sit for 15 minutes.
That worked out perfectly.

Ingredients
-2 Recipes Single-Crust Pie Pastry, see recipe, or 2 rolled refrigerated unbaked piecust (15-oz. pkg.)
-5 cups peeled, sliced fresh peaches or frozen peach slices, thawed
-1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
-1/3 cup packed brown sugar
-2 Tbsp. cornstarch
-2 Tbsp. bourbon, (optional)
-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
-2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare pastries. Line 9-inch pie plate with one crust. Trim edge of crust to 1/2 inch beyond pie plates. Set aside.
2. In large bowl combine peaches, blueberries, 1/3 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, bourbon, and cinnamon. Place filling in prepared crust. On lightly floured surface, roll remaining crust to circle 12 inches in diameter. Cut in 1-inch-wide strips. Weave strips over filling in lattice pattern. Press strip ends into bottom pastry. Fold bottom pastry over strips' ends; seal and crimp. Sprinkle lattice with 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
3. Cover edges with foil. Bake on baking sheet 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 25 minutes more or until filling is thickened and crust is golden. Cool on rack. Makes 8 servings.

We really enjoyed this pie!!
I think you will too, if you try it.
And since it only uses 1-2 cups of blueberries,
it's not quite as expensive to make...
but doesn't lack on blueberry flavor.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

sarah.. that pie looks amazing!
My new range is being installed today ~ yes!! I can bake.

Have a great weekend.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Awesome pie! So pretty! Love that it's with peach, sounds delicious with blueberries!

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails